Thursday, May 29, 2014

Guided Math Summer Read

As a kick-off to my summer, I have decided to finally read the book Guided Math by Laney Sammons. While I usually feel like I am pretty good at teaching math, I have never really liked the organization of my math time. I have used math centers and math work stations in the past and have always felt unorganized. My school is adopting a new math curriculum, My Math, so I figure now is a great time to figure out how to finally get myself organized during math time.




What are my goals?
-To devise a plan for organizing my math block so I can meet with small groups of students for more individualized instruction.
- Figure out how to make sure that students I am not meeting with are engaged in meaningful learning, not just doing busy work.
- Incorporate our mini iPads into the math block.
- Include more problem-solving and real-world math work.
- Integrate math journals and math conversations more often.

The first chapter in Guided Math by Laney Sammons is an overview of the components of guided math. The components include:
1. A Classroom Environment of Numeracy
2. Morning Math Warm-ups and Calendar Board Activities
3. Whole-Class Instruction
4. Guided Math Instruction with Small Groups of Students
5. Math Workshop
6. Individual Conferences
7. An Ongoing System of Assessment

(Excerpt From: Sammons, Laney. “Guided Math.” Shell Education, 2011-04-01)

I will be posting information and my thoughts from each chapter. My plan is to post every couple of days. I hope you enjoy the information! If you have any thougths or comments, please leave them! 






No comments:

Post a Comment